Wheel in the Sky - Beyond the Pale (album review)


                     CRC012_-_Wheel_In_The_Sky_-_Beyond_The_Pale_250...     

A concept album about darkness and death? Where do I sign up? Oh, I already have! Let the review commence!


Beyond the Pale
Wheel in the Sky
The Sign Records
31 August 2018



Ermmm, wait, this is HAPPY! WTF, did I click on something wrong? It's like riding with the top down on a country road surrounded by corn fields. Is this the new John Couger Mellencamp album? It sounds like it. No wait, that was a bit of a nod to The Who. I don't know how to feel. ..."I ain't seen the sun for days...." but now it sounds like Cheap Trick. <curls up into a ball on the floor, cat comes by and licks my face>

oooohhh I know this one! "....riding the storm out..." Oh no, wait. It's the title track, 'Beyond the Pale'. Same Same. Duuuuuuuuuude I'm so singing this, very loudly, right now. And doing that wacky 70s rock dance; complete with headbanging and air guitar. ...."this ain't the time for reason, this ain't the time for the truth...." ZOMG, and you loyal readers will have to wait until AUGUST to hear this!

I swear for 'Far Side of Your Mind' David Berlin sounds just like Roger Daltry. It's eerie! So, I don't want to wax nostalgic, and this should really be a **spoiler free** review. jajajajjaja ok, 'She's the Only Dead Girl in the City'. Just the title is awesome. I seriously think this should be placed somewhere in season 14 of Supernatural. Can we get Kripke on this?!  But let's just say that Beyond the Pale is now one of my new favourite bands. Wheel in the Sky is now my favourite album of the year. It's just that good.

There are no tricks or gimmicks. Wheel in the Sky is just solid strait ahead rock and roll. You can hear the lyrics and sing along to them. There is plenty of air guitar fun to be had. The sound is earthy and complete. The drumming is top notch. You can hear the bass lines. Einar Petersson, David Berlin, Carl Norman, and  Daniel Uggla did some mystical Uppsala Mojo and created the perfect album, yeah, I said it, it's PERFECT!

Don't take my word for it, give it a listen.


Comments

Popular Posts